We came. We saw. We yakked about comms.
Thank you to everyone who attended 2018’s The Big Yak, we had a brilliant day and enjoyed seeing you all having fun, networking and learning about internal communication.
We were joined by 160 internal communication professionals and thanks to our 21 sponsors, were able to enjoy a whole day together. IC pros travelled from near and far to be in London on 9 June, including Cynthia from the Netherlands, Emanuela from Italy and various flights from Dublin and Belfast.
✅ 160 attendees
✅ 21 sponsors
✅ 8 volunteers on the day
✅ Epic swag
✅ “1000 yrs of experience in one room”
Want to know what it’s like to attend The Big Yak?
Here’s a taster of what the crowd has shared from our previous unconferences.
Helen Deverell shared some top networking tips to help comms pros.
- A proud day to be a comms pro – by Rachel Miller
- With a little help from my friends – by Simon Rutter
- A look back at the yak – by AB
- The big yak – nurturing our amazing internal communications family – by Jane Revell
- The Big Yak – by Thomas Olsen
- Big Yak: Generation IC – by Kate Jones
- 10 things I learnt at the big yak – by Advita Patel
- Yak, yak, yak – by Sarah Roberts @sarahrroberts
- My Big Yak 2018 takeaways – by Annique Simpson @annique_simpson
- What IC pros are talking about – by Rachel Miller @AllthingsIC.
- My top three takeaways from The Big Yak – by Advita Patel @advita_p
- Love, Love me do – by Henry Davies, 106 Comms @Hadrig
- The Big Yak – let’s talk about communication – by Top Banana
- My top takeaways from The Big Yak – by Helen Deverell @helendeverell
- Yakkety Yak – by Jenni Kampf @adventuresinic
- Top five take-outs from The Big Yak – by Sequel Group @sequel_group
- A big day at The Big Yak – by Belinda Gannaway @beegannaway
- What can we learn from an unconference? by Sarah Browning @BrowningYork
- Make my Big Yak – by Silvia Cambie @silviacambie
- The Big Yak – my first communications unconference, by Frank Dias @letmebefrnk.
The crowd decide the topics they’d like to discuss. In 2018 they were:
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4||Session 5|
|Measurement||Creating a forward-looking culture through open and honest communications||IC role in innovation||How do we show the ROI of IC||Newsletters, do they still hold value?|
|Change Comms||Reviving intranets, O365||Growing comms champion network||Helping Line Managers become better communicators||How do we develop our own capabilities?|
|Crisis Comms||Comms career progression||Working smarter (agile)||Getting executive buy-in||Connecting people to purpose|
|Culture Change||Coaching leaders||Operationalising values and behaviours||Storytelling||CEO comms and corporate reputation
|Remote workers with access to comms channels||Comms strategy||Tackling tech takeover and saturation||Community management and ESN strategy||Internal comms and diversity|
|Engaging people who resist engagement||Remote workers (no access to comms channels)||Remote workers – using line managers||Connecting global organisations||M&A|
Brilliant day at my first #TheBigYak! Can’t believe how many of the topics raised are common to everyone – it’s great to know us IC professionals aren’t alone & all experience similar challenges. Thanks @theICcrowd for organising this – it will stay with me for a long time! pic.twitter.com/i2PIYIHfET
— Becky Handy (@BeccaBoo_88) June 9, 2018
This is to repeat what others have said, but worth saying still. #TheBigYak is a unique event in the #internalcomms calendar. Each one comes with new connections, new learning and new ideas. I value these days immensely – all credit to @theICcrowd for making them happen.
— Oli Howard (@howard_oli) June 9, 2018
What a great experience! So happy I’ve been able to join #TheBigYak with @theICcrowd and a lot of great #internalcomms people. I enjoyed all the discussions and comms chats. Really worth a trip to London 😀 pic.twitter.com/A5qRzbPUvA
— Emanuela Tresoldi (@lella_tresoldi) June 9, 2018
Thank you to everyone that came along today to #TheBigYak – it was a fantastic day and proud to be part of @theICcrowd to be able to bring these events to our industry – I hope you all feel inspired and empowered to take on Monday! #InternalComms pic.twitter.com/0YVlv1qVHo
— Jenni Field (@mrsjennifield) June 9, 2018
— Joanne Howe (@JoanneMHowe) June 9, 2018
Sat on the train back to Wales reflecting on an awesome day at #TheBigYak. Thanks to @theICcrowd for another brilliant event. It’s not every day you get to spend time with people so passionate about #internalcomms that they give up their Saturday to talk shop. pic.twitter.com/mR2MWiRHOT
— Jessica Roberts (@JessRoberts_82) June 9, 2018
Scribbling away in the line manager discussion at #TheBigYak , some great points raised. I’m taking the challenge to protect the time and space managers need to process messages before cascading to teams pic.twitter.com/LwEr5KPcBP
— Vikki Grime (@VikkiG_IC) June 9, 2018
— Russell Cartwright (@hosscartwright7) June 9, 2018
— Katie Marlow (@ktmarlow) June 9, 2018
Ideas for coaching leaders… peer to peer coaching, authenticity, building relationships, safe environment to practice, skill shares, open and honest conversations, find their comfort zones. Be their trusted advisor #TheBigYak #Internalcomms pic.twitter.com/fJfrTtNoYJ
— Cathy Power (@cathypower2003) June 9, 2018
— Victoria Ford (@torfordy) June 9, 2018
Reflecting on today at #TheBigYak – the conversations and advice on IC and meeting loads of lovely comms people. Thanks to Rachel, Jenni and Dana @theICcrowd for organising such a great event xx https://t.co/xkmjgE6nuU
— Trudy Lewis (@lewiscomms) June 9, 2018
Straight back in after lunch at #TheBigYak and here are the topics folks:
– IC role in innovation
– Growing comms champion network
– Working smarter (agile)
– Operationalising values and behaviours
– Tackling tech takeover and saturation
– Remote workers – using line managers pic.twitter.com/LXErGSRK4U
— Leah Bowden (@humanizecomms) June 9, 2018
Similar challenges at this year’s #TheBigYak as last year re #intranets. Who owns it? Collaboration and working with IT, who updates it? Challenges with ownership and content, updating of info, being too far down the Microsoft route. Good session facilitated by @andrewhesselden
— Padraic (@padraic_knox) June 9, 2018